29 March 2020

More Fun With Photos

I am a member of the El Toyon Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.  I currently serve as the registrar - a postion I have held since 2007.  El Toyon is 119 years old, the 3rd oldest active chapter in California.  An ongoing project of mine has been to research the lives of the 25 charter members and their families. 

In my effort to collect photos of each of the charter members as well as all the past regents of our chapter, I came across this drawing by Ralph Yardley in one of our chapter scrapbooks. 


In my search for the newspaper issue that the drawing appeared in - which I have not found yet - I came across two articles that described what was going on in the drawing.



Looking at the drawing more carefully, three little words caught my eye:  "From A Photograph."



This research was done over 5 years ago and yes, I did find the photograph that served as the model for the drawing.  But I am embarrassed to say that I have no idea where it came from.  My best guess is that I obtained a copy of it from the Bank of Stockton Historic Photograph Archive.

This local gem of a repository includes more than 32,000 photos spanning 150 years, some dating back to the 1850s.  The bank began collecting photographs in 1990 with the purchase of local photographer Leonard Covello’s collection, which included prints from numerous other pioneer photographers including Batchelder, Spooner, Wells, Logan, and others, totaling more than 20,000 photos and negatives. The bank has since extended its collection tremendously, creating a computerized catalogue and making it available to the public with the help of historians from University of the Pacific and Bank Archivist Bill Maxwell.


3rd from left is Mrs. J. J. Tully.  Emily Genevieve Learned married Dr. John J. Tully who was a prominent Stockton physician.

2nd from right is Mrs. Mary Phillips.  Mary Hamilton married Dr. Thomas Phillips, a physician at the Stockton State Hospital.  Mary's father was I. D. Hamilton, owner of many steamboats and real estate tycoon.

Far right is Mrs. Edna Orr James.  Edna Orr married Robert Wilson James.  Her father Nelson Orr owned and was the editor of the Stockton Daily Independent.

4th from left is Mrs. John Budd.  Mary Emelia Haste married John Elliot Budd.  John's father was Judge Joseph Budd and his brother was James Herbert Budd was the 19th Governor of the State of California

The woman on the far left and the young girl standing next to her have not been identified.

 To read more about the talented Mr. Yardley click HERE and HERE.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good eye, spotting that inset! How fantastic that you actually found the photo, itself. Hope you can identify the two missing names, too.

    ReplyDelete