21 December 2008

Saturday Night Fun On Saturday Night!


I can't believe that I finally get to play along with the funmeister, Randy Seaver, on Saturday night instead of later in the week. This week the game is called "Saturday Night Fun - The History Edition".
PART I
What day of the week were you born? Tell us how you found out.
I was born on a Monday.
Monday's Child Fair of Face.
I have always known this to be true. All my life I was told that I was born on "Easter Monday." But for those of you who do not know what day of the week you were born on, Pro Genealogists has a very nifty calculator to figure it out for you.
PART II
What has happened in recorded history on your birth date (day and month)? Tell us how you found out, and list five events.




30 March 1533 - Henry VIII divorces his 1st wife, Catherine of Aragon














The Barbie doll, invented by Ruth Handler was first introduced to the world on March 30, 1959 at the American Toy Fair in New York City sporting a ponytail and a black-and-white striped swimsuit.















30 March 1858 - Pencil with attached eraser patented by Hyman L. Lipman of Philadelphia











30 March 1955 - 27th Academy Awards "On the Waterfront" is awarded best picture.







30 March 1867 - US buys Alaska from Russia for $7,200,000 (this works out to be 2¢ per acre). Secretary of State William H. Seward was the dealer maker. Critics attacked Seward for the secrecy surrounding the deal, which came to be known as "Seward's folly." The press mocked his willingness to spend so much on "Seward's icebox" and Andrew Johnson's "polar bear garden."


How did I find this information? I knew about Barbie because she and I share the exact same birth date and birth year. As soon as Barbie hit the shelves, my mother ran out and purchased one for me. It was the beginning of a collection that now numbers well over 350.


The other 4 items were obtained from the same place as Part I, Pro Genealogy website which had yet another really nifty tool called "This Day in History"
Thanks Randy for another delightful evening of diversions.

1 comment:

  1. I posted mine before I read yours, honest! We have Catherine of Aragon and our birth year in common.

    ReplyDelete