30 September 2008

Extra! Extra! 57th COG


Newspapers can be a wonderful source of family history information. Share some aspect about your family history that you learned about in a newspaper.Articles, advertisements, obituaries, classified ads, photos... all are fair game if they appeared in a newspaper. What did you learn about your family from this information? Was the information accurate? How did you learn about this information... online search? Perusing old newspapers? A clipping saved by a relative?








It's too bad that this carnival didn't happen a month ago. I could have used my Pauline news paper articles. Just as well, my Delaney family is another of my very favorite families and I have been neglecting them.
Daniel Derondo Delaney ( I just adore the name) and his wife Ellen Collins are my 3rd great grandparents. In an earlier post I wrote a biography about their eldest child Michael Delaney.
The newspaper article I found is about Michael's eldest son Frederick George Delaney.
Fred and his 2 brothers, Carl and Daniel, had all entered the banking business at the same time.
A first cousin to their mother, J. W. Thompson, was the president of the 1st National Bank and of Citizens National Bank. The boys all moved to Taloga, Dewey County, Oklahoma where a new branch of their uncle's bank was opening. From the article below, it appears that Fred was quite a catch. It is in the neighboring county of Custer, the town of Thomas that this article comes from. Or should I call it an advertisement?

No comments:

Post a Comment