12 September 2008

10 Books I Have Used in the Last 6 Months

The 56th Edition Carnival of Genealogy - 10 Essential Genealogy Books in My Library

I have 10 bookshelves that each have 5 shelves. All ten are crammed full of books I use for my research. Unfortunately, the bookshelves are not in the same room as my computer. Here is where I have a stack of books and periodicals that is as tall as I am. Writing this post for the COG ended up being a very good thing. From that stack of books, I have selected the ten that I have used the most in the last 6 months. The rest of the stack of books I re-stacked on top of the bookshelves in the other room!

The ten I have used the most - in order of how I pulled them from the stack:

1. "Evidence Explained - Citing History Sources from Artifacts to Cyberspace" by Elizabeth Shown Mills

2. "Professional Genealogy" - edited by Elizabeth Shown Mills

3. "The BCG Genealogical Standards Manual" - by the Board for Certification of Genealogists

4. "Becoming An Accredited Genealogist" - by Karen Clifford, AG

5. "History of the Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary of the Woods" - by Sister Mary Brown - This book is full of early Vigo County, Indiana history and parishioners of the Catholic Church at St. Mary of the Woods. My Sheern and Leseure families are here.

6. "Communities of Kinship - Antebellum Families and the Settlement of the Cotton Frontier" - by Carolyn Earle Billingsley

7. "Land and Property Research in the United States" - by E. Wade Hone

8. "The Researcher's Guide to American genealogy" - by Val Greenwood

9. "Adventures of a Tramp Printer, 1880-1890" - by John Edward Hicks - Bordellos and saloons and their occupants in the Old West era Kansas City

10. The National Genealogical Society Quarterlies - I have every one of them from 1982 to present and am constantly referring to them

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sheri, I am curious to know what you consult the NGS Quarterlies for? Cheers, Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Hello Carol,

    I apologize if I led you to believe that I used the Quarterlies as a research aid like I would use (for instance) Evidence Explained. I probably should have not included them in this particular list.

    I keep, read and thoroughly devour every single issue for many reasons. When I feel like my "Mojo" is losing steam, I go back and read an article that inspires me to get my butt in gear and reminds me of the promise I made to give my research the best I have. So I guess the quarterlies are more of a motivational tool rather than a research resource. But useful just the same, no?

    Sheri

    ReplyDelete