08 February 2010

What Were They Thinking?

There has been alot of discussion lately among Genea-bloggers on how to attract readers to your blog. Thomas MacEntee over at Geneabloggers reported recently that there are now over 900 genealogy related blogs listed at the site. 900! How does one choose which blogs are of interest to them?

Well the people at Google have this nifty little program called
"Analytics." Oh it has all kinds of bells and whistles that you can use to customize your reports to tell you all kinds of things about your blog. One of the features I like best is the keyword(s) report.

This report will tell you what words are entered into a search engine that lands a person on your blog. Here are a few examples that totally floored me:

German Russian Heritage - ok, well that fits the bill since my father's line are Germans from Russia and I have written a few articles about them.

Vat of Crabbiness - I borrowed this phrase from Terry Snyder over at
Desktop Genealogist Unplugged. Terry if you are out there start writing again!

Barbara Eden Look-alike - OK, I may have worn the costume but not once did I mention her name so Google gets points from me for facial recognition searches.

National Donut Day - That's right, when you think of donuts you think of me.

Insane Asylums - I am going to have to go back and read all my posts. I don't think I have written about this subject. Unless they are just making a friendly suggestion, then ok they might be on the right track.

Polka Disco - Heel, Toe and Away We Go - I kid you not. This exact phrase was entered into a search engine and they were pointed to my blog.
Donna Pointkouski this is all your fault!

And the number one phrase????

Nuns With Guns - Jaysus, Mary and Joseph, I am going to Hell in a Handbasket for sure.

What are the words people put into search engines that lands them on your blog???
Post a Comment