04 September 2011

SNGF - Spin the Ancestor Roulette Wheel




Saturday Night Genealogy Fun over at Seaver's place  always has fun tasks to complete.  Joining in the fun and completing the tasks serves another purpose for me.  It shows me where in my research that I need more work.


This week's task:


1) How old is your great-grandfather now, or how old would he be if he had lived? Divide this number by 4 and round the number off to a whole number. This is your "roulette number."
 2) Use your pedigree charts or your family tree genealogy software program to find the person with that number in your ahnentafel (ancestor name list). Who is that person?
 3) Tell us three facts about that person with the "roulette number."





I have 4 great grandfathers, so I closed my eyes and pointed to one on my chart and the winner is:  Hillery T. Harris.  Born in 1894, he would be 117 years old today.  Divide that by 4 and the Roulette Spins to #29 who is one of my favorite ancestors


My 2nd great grandmother

MINDA  ELLEN  WALLACE











Three Facts about Minda Ellen Wallace :  


(1)  Minda was born 20 November 1861 in Yadkin County, North Carolina, married George Wesley Harris 10 April 1883 in Poweshiek County, Iowa and died 14 March 1942 in Allen County, Kansas     







(2) Minda's brother Micager Cilvester Wallace was granted a patent for a butter churn - Patent No.  253,961  dated 21 February 1882.     


Minda & Family 1 month before death in 1942.  From L-R: daughter Elizabeth, son, John, Minda, husband George, son Fletcher, son Hillery


(3)  Three of her favorite songs were sung at her funeral - "In the Garden", "Shall We Gather at the River?" and "Will the Circle be Unbroken?" I get warm fuzzies every time I read these sentences from her obituary:  "She had a loving nature and to know her was to love her.  She was a devoted wife and a true and kindly mother who loved her children dearly."

1 comment:

  1. What a fun game... going to go and find my great grandfather and see what I can find out. I have hit a brick wall... this should take the stress off the situation. :)

    ReplyDelete