11 October 2008

Believe It Or Not

The 58th Edition of the Carnival of Genealogy asks Bloggers to write a story about or involving one of our ancestors. The story may be fact or fiction. You the reader, must decide if you believe my story or not.



The Bones of the Brother of Daniel Boone


The date is 6 October 1780, Daniel Boone and his brother Edward were returning from a hunting and salt making trip in the Blue Licks when they stopped at a creek to let their horses cool and graze. Daniel decided to go off and hunt while Edward stayed with the horses.

As Edward sat alone beneath a buckeye tree, a group of Shawnee warriors sneaked up shot him. Hearing the shots, Daniel looked back in horror and saw the Indians standing over Edward’s dead body. Spotting Daniel off in the distance, the Indians released their dog. Daniel brought down the animal with a shot from his rifle and managed to escape back to Boone Station.

Edward’s daughter, Sarah Boone Hunter, in a letter to Lyman Draper, said, "My father was killed 40 miles from the Station. He was stabbed in 7 places; his fingers were horribly cut with the Indian’s knife. He was scalped and part of his clothing were taken off. I think his coat and pantaloons."

Daniel and a group of men from Boone Station arrived at the creek the next morning. Finding Edward’s body horrible mutilated, they buried him near the bank of the creek where he fell. The creek, from that time on, became known as "Boone Creek" in honor of Edward.

Forty-seven years later, in 1827, water at Boone Creek washed up some of Edward’s bones. Elder Richard Thomas, pastor of the nearby Rockbridge Baptist Church, collected the remains and had them re-interred approximately 1 mile away in his church graveyard.


RICHARD THOMAS III

Richard Thomas III is my 5th great grandfather. I am very proud of this particular ancestor of mine. Richard served in the Revolutionary War as a private in Captain Lytle's Company in Colonel William Taylor's North Carolina Regiment. He was discharged in June, 1778, at Valley Forge, after having served General George Washington himself. Richard's brother, General Philemon Thomas, was the commanding general who took Baton Rouge in the War of 1812.

Richard Thomas was born 19 October 1758 in Orange County, North Carolina to Richard Thomas II and Frances Hawkins. On 19 November 1794, Richard married Elizabeth Bowles, the daughter of Jesse Bowles and Hannah Perkins.

Richard wrote an article for the "Western Citizen" on 30 April 1825 at the height of the controversy between the Old and New Court of Appeals.


Some Reflections of Affairs on the Present State of Government
by an Old Soldier of the Revolutionary War of 1776

I served four campaigns in that war, am now in the 66th year of my age and have nothing to fear on my own account - yet my sympathies are engaged for my children, my brethren, and my country. Every energy of my mind runs out in desire that minorities and majorities shall possess equal rights, that no power shall rest in the hands of a majority to trample on the rights of any. That power lodged anywhere to trample the rights of others is tyranny. I have conscientiously expressed my belief as to where the master spirits of the store are endeavoring to bring us in the following sheets: To establish Tyranny among us and destroy our present Republican Government and believing that there are thousands now led astray, who are honest and firm republicans in heart I entreat you for your own sakes, and that of your children, reflect before it is too late. With the warmest feelings and sincere wishes for the prosperity of my country I remain a sincere friend to equal liberty and rights.

--Richard Thomas

5 comments:

  1. Not! I don't believe that anyone back in those days could determine a person's identity 47 years after their death. I'm going to go with Fiction on this one!

    Interesting read, Sheri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grreat Fact or Fiction post.

    How very neat that you've discovered all the info about your 5th GF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe this is true, but wonder as Jasia says, how were they sure who the bones belonged to?

    Msteri

    ReplyDelete