15 August 2009

SNGF - My Ultimate Genealogical Goal

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Randy Seaver's genealogical exercise for the week is something I talked about in a previous posts here and here. I do not want to miss out on the fun so I am going to modify Mr. Seaver's assignment just a tad and answer just the basic part of the first question - "What is your ultimate genealogical goal?"








The Ultimate Genealogical Goal I have set for myself is certification. Board Certification.



The number one reason I want this achievement? Purely selfish - Validation. Acknowledgment from a panel of seasoned, professional genealogists, scholars, historians that I have finally reached an advanced level of understanding the principles of evidence analysis and the ability to convey those skills through the examples of my research I submit in my portfolio.



In plain English - becoming certified will mean that I can tell my family and friends "See - I told you I knew what the hell I was doing!" It reflects my knowledge of what records are available and where to find them. It lets people know that I have worked my butt off and I am good at what I do.



Over at the BCG website, I found this statement about certification that I really like -



"Compiling an application for Certified Genealogist is a grand achievement in itself, even if it is denied approval. It shows focus, perseverance, and a degree of organization well beyond that of most genealogists."


How long do you think you have have left to fulfill this ultimate goal?


I turned 50 this year and I think that I probably have 20 or 30 productive years ahead of me. I am going to send in my paperwork to "start the clock" in September. This means that I will have exactly 1 year to complete my portfolio and submit it.

Are you prioritizing your time adequately in order to achieve this goal?


Hell No! I really need a time management coach or something. I find myself getting way to distracted and I have so many things going on at the same time.


I have some major obligations - editor for my genealogy society's newsletter, registrar for my local DAR chapter, ProGen class, NGSQ monthly discussions group, a monthly and a weekly online publication that I write columns for.


Then I have my "schmoozing" thing - Facebook, Genealogywise, Twitter, etc. Then I have my blog and keeping up with all the other Geneabloggers. I love my blog and love reading others. Reading them help motivate me.


If not, what should you do to achieve the goal?

I need discipline. Whips, chains, the works.






Will you do what you need to do?

Yes, I will some how, some way get 'er done. Time to use a few "Get Out Of Hell Free" cards to keep me on track.












5 comments:

  1. If all goes according to my plan, there will be another project on the table to distract you soon. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - could you send that guy in the picture over my way after he's got you working over time? Regular ol' time management systems don't seem to work for me - but fear is always a great motivator!!

    Love your UGG - will be reading your blog to watch you achieve it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for it, Sheri! All you have to do is sleep faster and then you will have more time!

    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goal! I can't wait to watch you achieve it!

    By the way, I am sure that the whips and chains will keep you on track! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you will achieve the goal without whips and with a good tickle to your funny bones.

    ReplyDelete