Do you have a pedigree chart that shows you as #1 and goes back five generations? If not, you should make one! Fire up your software program and create a report and save it (you'll see why in am inute!).Here is your SNGF assignment for the evening (if you choose to accept it - this is not stump the genealogist or even Mission Impossible):
1) List your 16 great-grandparents in pedigree chart order. List their birth and death years and places.
2) Figure out the dominant ethnicity or nationality of each of them.
3) Calculate your ancestral ethnicity or nationality by adding them up for the 16 - 6.25% for each (obviously, this is approximate).
4) If you don't know all 16 of your great-grandparents, then do it for the last full generation you have.
5) Write your own blog post, or make a comment on Facebook or in this post.
My paternal side:
16) Gerhard BEFORT - born 10 February 1832 in Obermonjou, Russia and died 16 August 1906 in Munjor, Ellis County, Kansas. GERMAN/RUSSIAN
17) Catherina STECKLEIN - born 18 December 1836 in Gatzig, Russia and died 24 February 1911 in Munjor, Ellis County, Kansas. GERMAN/RUSSIAN
18) Johann Adam ERNST - born 1831 in Obermonjou, Russia. GERMAN/RUSSIAN
19) Anna Maria KEMPER - born 1832 in Obermonjou, Russia. GERMAN/RUSSIAN
20) Fred BORGSTADTER - born 20 August 1853 in Hitzenhausen, Germany and died 5 March 1929 in Lincoln, Lincoln County, Kansas. GERMAN
21) Mary Elizabeth HOBROCK - born 26 December 1861 in Beardstown, Cass County, Illinois and died 13 February 1932 in Lincoln, Lincoln County, Kansas. GERMAN
22) Louis Ernst BESSON - born 12 August 1865 in Leipzig, Saxony, Germany and died 23 April 1939 in Prior, Douglas County, Missouri. GERMAN
23) Sarah Jane SOLOMON - b. 15 November 1863 in Jonathan Creek Township, Moultrie County, Illinois d. 15 February 1897 in Prior, Douglas County, Missouri. ENGLISH
My maternal side:
24) Joseph Payne SKILLMAN - born 27 August 1856 in Bourbon County, Kentucky and died 16 August 1926 in Altoona, Wilson County, Kansas. ENGLISH
25) Sallie D. WILSON - born 2 August 1861 in Georgetown, Pettis County, Missouri and died 24 November 1944 in Shell City, Vernon County, Missouri. IRISH
26) Ernest Francis SHEERN - born 30 July 1862 in Harpers Ferry, Allamakee County, Iowa and died 11 September 1934 in Kansas City, Jackson County, Missouri. IRISH
27) Jennie DELANEY - born 10 May 1862 in Sedalia, Pettis County, Missouri and died 26 December 1929 in Garnett, Anderson County, Kansas. IRISH
28) George Wesley HARRIS - born 11 March 1864 in Lincolnton, Lincoln County, North Carolina and died 17 April 1949 in Garnett, Anderson County, Kansas. ENGLISH
29) Minda Ellen WALLACE - born 20 November 1861 in Yadkin County, North Carolina and died 14 March 1942 in Allen County, Kansas. IRISH
30) William Campbell BERRY - born 22 August 1856 in Des Moines County, Iowa and died 13 July 1921 in Bronson, Bourbon County, Kansas. IRISH
31) Laura Cordelia ROBINSON - born 12 June 1862 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania and died 15 April 1951 in Garnett, Anderson County, Kansas. IRISH
Let's tally this up:
German/Russian = 4
German = 3
English = 3
Irish = 6
I am going to combine the German/Russian and the German together. Let me tell you why. Although that part of my family migrated from Germany to Russia and lived there for over 150 years, I am certain that there was no inter-mingling of the Catholic Germans and the Russians. I won't say that it never happened, but it did not in the village of Obermonjou and not with my lines.
So re-calculated we have:
Germans = 7
Irish = 6
English = 3
I obviously do not have Y DNA, but I have had my mitochondrial DNA tested and I am in halpogroup R.