19 June 2009

Sheri Goes to Samford - Sophomore Year Part 4

I can not believe that it is Wednesday already. If I am going to find any trouble to get into, I better hurry up!

Christine Rose came to teach one more session for my class. Analysis and Correlation of Evidence. This could not have come at a better time for me. I am hoping to complete my portfolio and mail it in before the end of the year to The Board for Certification of Genealogists. The BCG is not a club or membership society. It is the U.S. based certifying body for genealogists. The work samples and reports that I put in my portfolio will be reviewed and measured against the standards to assess my competency to find, analyze and interpret evidence, present sound research reports and historical accounts of families.

Onomatology - Do you know what it means? Lloyd's next session covered a wide array of resources to use when one is analyzing a forename and a surname. I learned an interesting little fact - If a name is spelled a certain way in one place and differently in another and it can be determined that it is one person, the law says that if it sounds the same then it is legal. For example Powell and Powel. That the forenames Sebastian and Sigmund are German however the forenames Felix and Christian are SWISS German.

The afternoon session was a real treat. Dr. John Coletta came to talk to us about passenger arrivals and naturalization records. I have Dr. Coletta's book "Only A Few Bones" - I have read it at least 3 times. It is such a compelling story and the amount of research he put into this project is simply mind-blowing.

This was my first time to see Dr. Coletta give a presentation and he is simply mahvalous dahlings! He is so energetic, so excited about the information he is sharing with you. I don't know about anyone else, but he makes you feel part of the presentation, engaging you with direct eye contact. His enthusiasm is contagious and invigorating.

After classes I went with Kathryn Hopkins (my coffee saviour from last year) and 2 gentlemen (Gasp!) off campus for a little excitement. I think I shall leave you with that thought until tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I am enjoying your posts of Samford, I got caught up a couple days ago. Makes me want to go! Now, I have been patiently waiting to hear about your night out with a couple gentlemen, and the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete