18 June 2009

Sheri goes to Samford - Sophomore Year Part 3

Today Christine Rose was the speaker for my class. Christine has never been on my scary list because she is from Northern California just like me. Ms. Rose has been to county courthouses in just about every state in the Union. She is an authority on records at the county level. This was my first time to hear her speak, although I own every book she has written. She is a wonderful speaker. She explained the necessity of having a working knowledge of the laws that were in place at the time a record was created.


The second session of her lecture was all about Estate and Probate records at the county courthouses. Again stressing the need for knowledge of the laws in place at the time of the record, she took us through the probate process step by step. The terminology used in these records is very important to understand as it will help us to interpret the record properly.


So let me tell you about some "new-to-me" foods that were on the cafeteria menu. FIELD PEAS - What the hell is a field pea? Aren't all peas grown in a field? In the world I come from, peas are green and round. Here in Samford-land, it is a pinkish white bean with a black spot on it. BROCCOLI BITES - I have to tell you that I never did find these. But then again, I was looking for little green trees. POLENTA - I thought at first it was mashed potatoes. Learn from my mistake people - this is grits using a fancy Italian name as a disguise.


The rest of the afternoon Mr. Bockstruck took us into an area alot of people avoid for some reason - Military and Pension Records. As registrar for my local DAR chapter, I deal with Revolutionary War records often. Lloyd gave us an in depth look at the War of 1812, the Mexican War and the Indian Wars. This is were I really learned something new. It was absolutely amazing to learn about the records that were created as a result of these wars.


I was late for dinner tonight. I had gone back to the dorm after class and sat down for just a minute. I woke up 1 1/2 hours later. I don't even remember closing my eyes, I swear. It ended up being a good thing. I was sitting there minding my own business and guess who sits down next to me? Tim Pinnick. Here's the story about Tim.


The only TV I watch is Booknotes (CSPAN) on the weekends and the show 24. I have been hooked on this show since the episode where Jack Bauer is being held prisoner, hands and feet are bound, no weapons, Oh no! How will Jack get out of this one? He bites the neck of his captor and rips out the guys jugular vein. My kind of guy! Anyway, this season Jack is dying. I was so upset that I posted on facebook about it. Well Tim left me a comment that I was to rest easy. His wife would never let Jack Bauer die. Bless his little heart. (Southern-ese for a knight in shining armor with a little bit of rust around the edges). For those who do not know Tim, he is a scholar, author and gives lectures about researching coal miners and is a wiz at African-American research.


I talk about alot of brain-ee-acks I have met and I'll bet you're wondering why are they hanging out with me. Well, as soon as I know the answer to that, I'll be sure to pass it along. It is one of the best benefits of attending Samford. You already know about the education you'll get that you won't find anywhere else in the world. But the other is the people you meet. 250 people all on the same page. 250 people who share the same rush when a new discovery or connection is made. The friends you make at Samford are friends that you will have forever. It is genealogical nirvana.

Well it is show time across the street. My oh my I will have to make sure that young man gets his heart blessed before I go home.

2 comments:

  1. Good morning Sheri,
    Thanks for the comments. It sounds like me when I first attended Samford about 10-12 yrs ago. I was all agog about the classes and the instructors, Now I ARE ONE of the instructors.
    I was attending in the class of genealogy as a profession and also teaching one of the classes.
    Keep up the grand spirit and always look forward to another session at Samford. Oh..I love Christine as long as I have known her and her husband, Seymour. They are great folks.
    Alvie L. Davidson CG
    Lakeland, FL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheri

    From your description of "field" peas, I would suggest you were served what most of us in the South term as "black-eyed" peas... traditional Southern dish... and a must-have for any New Year's Day dinner.

    Enjoyed your posts. It sounds like you had a blast.

    Melissa
    Birmingham, Alabama

    ReplyDelete