26 March 2009

John Hope Franklin 1915-2009

I was very sad to learn of the passing of John Hope Franklin. I absolutely adored this man. A brilliant scholar and researcher. My introduction to Mr. Franklin came from a 2 hour segment of Booknotes. For two solid, commercial free hours I listened to him talk about his life and his accomplishments. For every obstacle he had put in front of him, he found a way to stomp right over it while staying true to himself. I can't begin to do justice to his life achievements, but found a couple of good starting points for learning more about them here and here.

I still smile when I remember learning that this great scholar still used index cards for notes and wrote his papers out in long hand. John Hope Franklin will remain for me an everlasting inspiration to be the best that I can possibly be. The world is a better place because of him and he will be missed.

5 comments:

  1. The Lasting Tribute website has updated its memorial pages to include John Hope Franklin.

    http://www.lastingtribute.co.uk/tribute/franklin/3050019

    It's a respectful memorial to John and somewhere to pay tribute to the family's fortitude at this difficult time.

    EVERY comment is monitored so that nothing offensive or inappropriate is published.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Patrick. It is good to know there is a place I can "virtually" pay my respects to his family. I'm off to do so now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed, a great intellect is now gone! Thanks for calling attention to this, Sheri.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful tribute, Sheri. I share your admiration for the man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done, Sheri. There was a nice story about him on a history blog -- as a young scholar, he was snubbed by one of his idols, and he resolved never to do that to those younger than him!

    ReplyDelete