02 September 2013

Mapping My Ancestors

Very cool mapping site I came across today.  It's called Map A List.  How it works - create a spreadsheet in Google Docs and the program uses that spreadsheet to create the map.  The green bubbles on the map below are a label or sorts.  You indicate what that particular place on the map represents.  On my map below, each bubble represents a location that my ancestors lived.




This type of mapping program can be used for all kinds of things - Road Trips, Locations of genealogy bloggers in the United States or Cemetery Locations just to name a few.

You can even use geocoding and there are tutorials and help forums right on the website.

So what would you use this type of mapping program for?

4 comments:

  1. Sheri, I did this but the lineages had different colored pins. You can then see where marriages could take place and families mingled. A feature that wasn't thought about as I was marking their trail west.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds...

    I was just working on map resources this week, too. Thanks for the additional resource! I think maps are fun, and anything to make that family tree more visual is a plus in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like something I would like to do. Hope it is as easy as you make it sound. If not....you'll be hearing from me!!
    Melinda...sorry, I don't know how to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What does the spreadsheet look like? Just a list of places?

    ReplyDelete