04 March 2011

Two Down, One To Go !




Readers of this blog will remember the previous post about using the Buddy System to get your genealogical goals accomplished this year.  The idea came from Amy Coffin of WeTree and Denise Levenick, The Family Curator.

I am very fortunate to have the best Whip Cracker in the State of California as my buddy - Cheryl Palmer who is the author of the Heritage Happens blog.  True to her word, she checked up on me with regular emails that always had words of encouragement.

To recap my 3 short term goals:

1)  To join and participate in the genealogy events at Second Life.

I managed to get myself signed up and it only took me 3 weeks to get my avatar dressed and put some hair on her head..  For someone who is severely tech-challenged like myself, the learning curve to participate in Second Life is pretty steep.  Tami Glatz is the author of  Relatively Curious About Genealogy and  is the president of the APG chapter at Second Life.  Her avatar's name is Genie Weezles and she hosts a weekly "Meet & Greet" every Monday evening 5-6 pm Pacific Time.  She is there for all the newcomers to answer questions and help you get around the Second Life World.

2)  Write an article for the Idaho State Genealogical Society Quarterly Journal about my "Problem With Pauline." 

While in the middle of writing this article I found new information about Pauline Sanford/Helen Hunt.  The people at the Idaho Genealogical Society agree with me that in light of this new information,  we may have to put this article on hold until the next issue so that further research can be done.

3)  Write an article for the California Genealogical Society's publication "California Nugget."  

The California Nugget has a regular feature called California Ancestors.  I am a first generation Californian so I do not have any ancestors that would qualify, however my sister-in-law does.  I have done quite a bit of research on her family.  They came to San Francisco in the 1850's and are still there today.  I used her family and my research for the article and submitted it to the editor just under the wire.

So . . Why the Dancing Hotdog?  Well, um . . . because my achievement is not at a full marching band level until I finish the other article.  But I felt what I did get accomplished  was worth at least a dancing hotdog.

7 comments:

  1. Good for you! You are making progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great progress, and I love the dancing dog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way I see it, Sheri, one goal was re-formulated so you accomplished the first set and now are working on a second. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! It always feels so good to accomplish a goal.
    Have we met in Second Life? I'm Samantha Spurlock. Look me up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sheri outside of the natives we all came to California from someplace else so don't worry about being a first generation Californian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw fudge, you have me scared. Now I need to work on my #2 challenge tonight. I've dedicated all my time to the others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I may have to *really* get down to bizness now that you are becoming taskmasters. I don't know if I should say "congrats" or "ratz" Amy, we are seriously challenged here!

    ReplyDelete