08 December 2009

Me and Gloria Are Both Feeling Good!



And I am pleased with myself. Last night, my ProGen 1- Group D met for the last time. 18 months ago I made a committment to myself and to the program to become a better genealogist. There are about 25 of us in the first ProGen Study Group. Brave souls - this was truly an experimental adventure. We had a good idea of what we wanted out of this program but since nothing like this had been done before, we had no idea whether it would work or not.

Well, let me tell you how great an idea this was - Four additional ProGen Study groups have been formed and another in the making. Ok, I can hear you asking, "What is ProGen?" Well here is how the
ProGen website defines who we are:

"The ProGen Study Groups are organized to encourage professional and aspiring genealogists to put into practice the principles found in Professional Genealogy: A Manual for Researchers, Writers, Editors, Lecturers and Librarians, edited by Elizabeth Shown Mills. This program employs an innovative method of collaborative learning focused on developing genealogical research skills and business practices.


Each month group members study one or two chapters of Professional Genealogy and complete a practical assignment relating to the material. They meet online to discuss the topic in small group discussions. Members review each other's assignments and offer constructive feedback. The study program covers all of the chapters in the book, including research procedures and business practices. This program requires time and commitment, but provides a unique opportunity for constructive feedback from colleagues."




18 months have just flown by. This program has been one of the best investments of my time, time that I barely have enough of. All of you know by now how important a genealogical education is to the serious genealogist. There is no cost, but it is a good idea to have a copy of the book for your reading and practical assignments.


6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your ProGen graduation, Sheri. You guys blazed the trail for the rest of us, and for that, we're very grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I'm in ProGen 3 and loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! That really is a great accomplishment! I'm working my way through ProGen 3 and it's been great so far

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how hard you worked at this! Congratulations on completing such a worthwhile program!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very happy for you Sheri! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulation on seeing through this trail blazing adventure! I'm certain many will follow in your footsteps.

    ReplyDelete