15 October 2009

Genealogical and Historical Society Membership

The 82nd COG asks: What's your favorite genealogical society? Do you belong to a society? Tell us why! Or if not, why not?

I am a member of several societies and associations of a genealogical and historical nature. In most of these organizations, I actively participate in projects, activities or serve as an officer or board member.

Here in Stockton, California I am a member of the San Joaquin County Genealogical Society. For the past 2 years I have been a board member and editor of the society's newsletter. Our society is very small - 45 members at last count. There are about 10-15 members who actively participate, but the future looks dim if we don't get revitalized. I am looking for someone to come and talk to us as a group about how to save our society. Some one who can help us come up with a viable plan of revitalizing and promoting. The society was founded in the early 1960's and has survived this long I would hate to see it die out.

Also here in Stockton I am a member of NSDAR - National Society Daughters of the American Revolution - El Toyon Chapter. I am the chapter registrar and board member and have been since 2007. El Toyon has about 97 members and we are one of the oldest chapters - 109 years old!


I joined the California Genealogical Society about 2 years ago because Kathryn Doyle made me. LOL! Ok not really. I joined BECAUSE of people like Kathryn Doyle, Steve Danko, Cheryl Palmer and Craig Manson. Schmoozing with people who live outside of my zip code has been one of the best things I have ever done.

The National Genealogical Society Quarterly Journals is the reason I keep renewing my membership with this group. That and the outstanding educational opportunities they offer have been a huge part of my quest to become a certified genealogist.

Just this year I joined the APG - Association of Professional Genealogists. I should have done this years ago. The best benefit has been the new clients that found me through the APG website.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, c'mon! Like anyone could make YOU do anything! Not even a kool, kool, kitty. I do have an idea for you and San Joaquin - have you thought about joining forces with another group?

    ReplyDelete