16 November 2011

My Flip Pal Project




I had envisioned using the Flip Pal as the sharpest tool in my onsite research kit.  Totally for book nerdy geekoid uses, oh let me count the ways!

Wracking my brain to come up with something artsy-crafty has almost put me in a coma.  I did not inherit the Martha Stewart gene from my mother, much to her chagrin.  However -  I did have my mother in mind when I finally came up with this home made gift for her.

Lately, the first sentence out of my mother's mouth has been - "I don't see enough of you!"  Mother lives a mere 2 1/2 hours away from me and I really need to make an effort to spend more time with her.  So this is where my brilliant, oh so clever idea for a gift stems from.  My mother wants to see more of me.  Well, with the help of my little friend Flip Pal, I am going to create a one of a kind gift that I'll bet never, ever occurred to Martha Stewart.


THE  INGREDIENTS



1  legal size piece of paper, a paper doll figure pattern,  6 little photos of me ( I suppose you could substitute a different photo, but it wouldn't mean as much to my mother), a couple of festive-colored garments of your chosing - I chose a green velour jacket and a  red sweatshirt that my mother made me take home the last time I visited with her. ( Bonus points for  using something with  sentimental value.), red and green markers and glue.

LET'S  BEGIN




Fold the paper in half lengthwise.  Then fold the paper accordian style 2 inches in width.





Trace the doll figure onto the folded paper.  Draw the lines for the hands and feet all the way to the edges of the paper.  Next cut out the doll through the whole thing taking care not to cut in the red "x" area as shown above.  When you are finished cutting, stretch out the paper.  Do you have something that resembles this? :


If you answered yes, then move along to the next part.  If what you have isn't even close, then talk to me after class - there are support groups to help you with this kind of thing.

OK, here is where the Flip Pal comes into play.  To make dresses for the me-dolls, I first scanned the red sweater and then the green jacket, printed the scans and then cut out hourglass shapes  for dresses.   









THE FINISHED HEIRLOOM MY MOTHER WILL CHERISH FOR ETERNITY



I am going to tie a ribbon to the donuts on the ends of the hands so Mother can hang me practically anywhere she choses.   I think this is a huge step up from the reindeer ornament, don't you?   




Disclosure: I am an affiliate of Flip-Pal which means that when you click on a link, graphic or text, and then purchase from them, I receive a small referral commission. Flip-Pal provided me with an evaluation scanner to participate in the Simple Gifts Blog Hop, which I will not be required to return.

Be sure to visit the other participants in the Flip Pal Simple Gifts genealogy blog hop:



Drusilla Pair
Find Your Folks
http://www.findyourfolks.blogspot.com

Marian Pierre-Louis

          Marian's Roots and Rambles
                    http://rootsandrambles.blogspot.com


Caroline Pointer

For Your Family Story




Heather Wilkinson Rojo

Nutfield Genealogy



Nancy Shively

Gathering Stories



Julie Cahill Tarr

GenBlog



9 comments:

  1. OMG that is so cute and creative. I'm getting ready to do a little crafty thing for Christmas. Clearly my creativity is not on par with the rest of you ladies but I need to encourage all those non-crafty folks like me! LOL! I can't wait to see what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *SNORT* You crack me up. LOLOLOLOL. Love it!

    ~C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who would have believed it? Multiple Sheri. Nevertheless you are unique and Mom will adore it if she doesn't die laughing :-)
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, go visit your mother, already! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hysterical! And I can see guilty 'children' everywhere making these to appease the mother gods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speaking as a mother (not quite elderly), I'd LOVE such a cute crafty bit of fun from one of my kids! Too cute and too funny by half.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ROTFLOL! You are so unique I didn't think it possible for there to be multiple yous! Truly creative.

    ReplyDelete