20 August 2011

I Ching, You Ching, We All Ching For Something





Over at Randy Seaver's place - GeneaMusings - it is time once again for Saturday Night Genealogy Fun.

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

1)  The writer of the Nuts from the Family Tree blog wrote about her question for the I Ching ( Book of Changes) guru in Cluless No More.  I thought that this might be a fun thing to do on Saturday night.

2)  Go to http://IChingOnline.net and ask a question relating to your genealogy research.  You can "throw the coins virtually" or "throw the coins by hand."  You have to click the "throw" button six times, then click on "Read."


3)  Report the question you asked and the answer you received, in the form of the Cast Hexagram (which explains the situation you are now in, or what has gone before), to your readers.   

4)  Does the answer make any sense to you?  How do you interpret the answer?








OK so I asked a question that is a little different than what the game calls for.  I asked the Great and Powerful I Ching  - 


"Oh where, oh where has my writing Mojo gone?" 


Although not a direct question about my genealogical research, the outcome certainly affects my research.


I chose to "throw the coins by hand" rather than "throw the coins virtually." A little extra effort might go a long way.  Here is my reading:



Cast Hexagram: 15 - Fifteen


Ch'ien / Modesty


The Mountain does not overshadow the Plain surrounding it:
Such modest consideration in a Superior Person creates a channel through which excess flows to the needy.

Success if you carry things through.


SITUATION ANALYSIS:


The Cosmos is moving toward equilibrium.

Extremes are being tempered, excess is beginning to shift toward the empty.
You can use these moderating influences to strike a balance in the world around you.
Remember, though, that this Leveling will not come about through an arrogant confiscation of excess, but through subtler persuasions.




OK I can go along with all the above.  I think that I even understand some of  what it is trying to say to me.


HOWEVER the price I have to pay is very expensive.  BEHOLD! - the last sentence  in my reading -


Modesty and moderation are the keys.

I Ching - you're killing me!


photo of I Ching from Wikimedia Commons

1 comment:

  1. Don't weep, Sheri Dahling. You just threw the wrong coin. That's not YOU they're talking about!!
    - Camel Aficionado

    ReplyDelete