02 September 2010

How I Overcame Writer's Block In Less Than 24 Hours

So. Yesterday I could not write my own name, much less a sentence or the 3 client reports that I need to have done by Saturday. I tried my usual block breakers. Mood music such as Stevie Ray Vaughn, Buddy Guy and old Motown did nothing for me. I extended my ice cream breaks from 5 minutes to 20 minutes - Nada.



Then it occurred to me that what I needed was an instant gratification fix. Now I know what you're thinking and I am not "that" kind of girl. Not on a weekday anyway. No, I am talking about seeing the results of one's hard work immediately. A job worth doing, is worth doing well and I am ever so pleased with myself when I work hard and the end result is better than expected.



My youngest son recently moved out (again) and I have the room for my office (again). I decided to pull up the nasty carpet and low and behold, there is a beautiful wood floor beneath 5 layers of old varnish and shellac. Aha! this could be my project - refinish the wood floor in my office. I run down the hall and open the door and Gasped! OMG the walls are PURPLE!


I forgot that right after son moved out, I painted the room purple. My thought at the time was - surely son will never move back home again and live in a purple room.



[note: I have since been medicated and realize how silly that thought was. Hah, the room has to be purple AND paint the trim fuchsia pink in order for son not to move back home. ]

[note to self: need to buy fuchsia pink paint ASAP]






So I figure a couple of hours and I will have the floor done in no time at all! Hahahaha.


Heee, Haahaahaa. The photo above is the fruit of six hours of my labor. Instant gratification FAIL.


Not. Even. Close.
This little diversion will now set me back at least another month before I can move my office in.


Oh well, I mustn't worry my pretty little head about such things. I will think about it another day and with that, I closed the door to the purple room. And then POOF! Just like that - like magic - I am ready to write again.


Oh and an unexpected bonus? Completely by accident, I made this scientific discovery - Jasco brand wood floor stripper works better than Nair at removing the hair from your legs. Awesome.

13 comments:

  1. That looks like the wood in our sunroom. It looks good except where the previous owners had a dog in there and by the door was his scratching post. LOL

    So, no more nair, huh? LOL When you finish your office, come do mine... Miss reading your post. Wish I could slow down and read more... Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Ha Sheri - I do enjoy your posts. Maybe it was the thought that you were another 6 hours behind in time to make your Saturday deadlines that did it :-) Look forward to hearing about your Office Progress! Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I was the only one who did stuff like that.

    And that floor is going to be gorgeous when you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Motha, you crack me up. But I could have told you that no home project is ever an instant gratification. The floor does look great though! Sista

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am laughing so hard at your post this morning! THANK YOU!!! It was a rough morning with my boys who are all still in elementary school. I do love the purple room and I say go for the fushia baseboards. But, I'm medicated too so maybe you shouldn't take my advice. Funny how boys can make you a little crazy. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugly:

    Purple walls, what were you thinking? They have their eyes closed when they're in there. Sleeping the main purpose of the room.

    To remove grown children from the nest, you must withhold all food, toothpaste, cable, and toilet paper.

    Instant gratification always involves Nordstrom and a credit card for me. Call me the next time you want to be distracted.

    -Ugliest

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...I ought to try something like that! I've had writers block for about 3 months now. But floor stripping may just be a little ambitious for me...got to think of something.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the post....& I can't wait to see the finished project. :-) Back when I was growing up, we always had wood floors, wasn't crazy about them. And once I moved out, I always had carpet. Now I'm at the age, where I'd "love" to have wood floors again. So pretty....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crazy lady: Fuschia pink is about one shade off the purple you once loved and now reject. Nice job at distracting yourself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad the writer's block has been broken... the floor looks like it will be gorgeous when finished. Not so crazy about the purple walls but the do suit you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best laugh I've had all week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Sheri - I am SO glad I had already swallowed my coffee when I got to the end of this story or I'd be cleaning the monitor right now! My only question - does the wood stripper leave the skin on your legs?? Thanks for a good laugh this am!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought you meant you publish a blog like this and we say great job, like I am and instant gratifivation. well in the same amount of time it took you to do that.
    Love purple...Hope you get to keep your office. I have been wondering how long I will too..... tee hee I haven't organized it yet.

    ReplyDelete