21 November 2012

Ketchup and Thanksgiving, This Is Not A Drive By

It's been close to a month since I've written to you my poor neglected blog.  


While away, I have accomplished many, many good things.


My DAR Chapter placed an historical marker on the spot where Kit Carson - scout for the Fremont Expedition - made camp in 1843 right here in San Joaquin County.  

I was elected to the Board for the Association of Professional Genealogists.  I begin my 2 year term in January.

I was on a discussion panel about online resources at the Family History Day at the California State Archives in Sacramento.


I presented a little workshop at the California Genealogical Society in Oakland about different places to put your family tree online. 

Speaking of online family trees, A recent article seems to have rubbed many a genealogist the wrong way.  Amy Coffin of the  WeTree Genealogy Blog and Debbie Mascot of Mascot Manor share their thoughts on said article.  I have to agree with Amy and Debbie.   


I understand where the author (who is a board certified genealogist) is coming from, but OUCH!  There are many who already think that the BCG are snobby and this article just added fuel to that flame.  The article does come across as snobby and condescending.  



As you may remember, last April I submitted my preliminary application to the Board for Certification of Genealogists which "started the clock" giving me one year to submit a portfolio to be reviewed and judged by 3 board certified genealogists.

Validation - that's the name of my game, my reason for attempting for certification.  If you ask any of the 246 people who have submitted successful portfolios why they did it, I think you'll get 246 different answers.  But I certainly don't think I am a snob for wanting to be certified. But just in case anyone thinks I have maybe gone to the "dark side" by wanting certification, have a look below.  I just can't help myself.






9 comments:

  1. BIG CONGRATS, Sheri, on being elected to the APG Board! I've no doubt you will have a splendid turkey weekend. Go easy on the ketchup, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The day you go to the dark side is the day I follow with a flashlight. No worries. You go! I'm so happy for all you are doing. It's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your election to the APG board!

    PS I just love your Thanksgiving outfit dahling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Sniff*

    Glad to see you back! And just love the new outfit! ;)

    Congratulations on your election to the board--and for all your accomplishments this year.

    Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been meaning to send you hearty congrats on your election to the APG Board! Your DARK SIDE doesn't scare me, btw. ;-)

    Happy Turkey Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd look up my Great Grandfather's name approximately once a year when I got on the internet. Never found anything. But after my Grandfather passed, a man from their town found my email address and mailed me a PDF with many more names/spouses/dates/children that went back a few generations beyond my Great Grandfather.

    This was awesome because as I went back further into these names, I finally found someone else's lineage and copied all that into a draft document.

    I used DAR's site to find a nearby DAR chapter, emailed them, they sent me to a nice lady who did some internet searches more advanced than the kind I'd done. Long-story-short, she was excited that what I'd found could be somewhat easily proved, once I'd collected certain documents between me and the most recent "proved" ancestor.

    I was excited, but that excitement quickly became disappointment because in order to prove myself as descendents to my DAR approved ancestors, I'd have to get copies of my parents birth certificates - that was the end for me!

    My mother used to be a bank teller and was VERY protective of all of our private info. She'd seen too many fraudulent withdrawal stories - some in our own family! She lives far enough in the boonies that I couldn't arrange for someone from DAR to meet with her while I was visiting.

    So that leaves me with a "drive by" draft that might possibly lead to proving my family history goes back to the Revolution and maybe even Founding Father. But because of requiring personal info that could lead to identity theft, I'm just sitting on this info for the time being.

    I downloaded free software to enter all my internet-collected info so it would be in "proper format", and that well-known software "insisted" I publish my info. It took me almost as long to figure out how to UNpublish that info from the web as it did for me to learn to enter the info. It shouldn't have defaulted into pushily posting my unproven, drive-by draft work. What about people that don't have enough experience with web-publishing software to figure out how to remove their drafts?

    So, I put some of the dis-info blame on pushy genealogy software.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Anonymous,

    There is a way around the problem you are describing for your DAR application. Please email me and I'd be happy to walk you through it.

    sherifenley@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just stopping by to wish you a Happy New Year from Ohio!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sheri, since you are my good coffee buddy, not to mention mentor and inspiration, I couldn't help but think of you when it comes time to acknowledge the ones who help encourage and make us who we are--er, shape us up!

    Because I wanted to let you know I really appreciate the encouragement you provide me through your comments at my blog as well as in various genealogy endeavors, I just nominated you for the "Wonderful Team Member Readership Award."

    I've explained more about the award here.

    Thanks again for everything--not only your encouragement to other genealogy researchers as well as bloggers, but for your own great posts here on your blog! You put a smile on everyone's face!

    ReplyDelete