28 December 2011

Making Some Family History Where Ever I Go

So my husband has children from a previous marriage and it is because of his children that I have grandchildren.  We don't see them often and maybe it's because of the stories they tell their parents after one of their visits with me.

Take today for instance.  I needed to go to the market.  They did NOT want to accompany me but they are only 10 and 8 years old and I felt not old enough to stay home alone.  So being the responsible grandparent that I am I made them come along.  I told them grocery shopping with me was an experience of a lifetime.  Of course they rolled their eyes at me but curiosity got the better of them and off we went.

As soon as we arrive I begin with the fast paced shopping cart races in the parking lot.  I had them hooked.

We danced in the frozen food aisle, played the paper towel end zone challenge in another aisle.  This is where you launch a roll of paper towels to see how far you can throw it down the aisle.  Then of course we played canned food bowling and topped it off watching the "Lobster Wars" over in the fresh seafood aisle lobster tank.  

With the right combination of caffeine and creativity, you can transform grocery shopping into a Disneylandish bonding experience with your children or grandchildren. Life is too short not to have all kinds of fun where ever you are! 

13 comments:

  1. Sheri,

    Thanks for the laugh. I can just see you there with the kids. I hope they enjoyed themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shopping cart races in the parking lot: husband and kids do that all the time.

    Paper towel throwing down the aisle: I picture myself taking down a displqy of breakable items! If husband and kids read this they will try it tomorrow!

    Canned food bowling: I could handle that without completely destroying something! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one question... were you wearing your hula skirt?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo-hoo! Sounds like my kind of granny!! Since we live in rainy Vancouver BC, my grandkids and I do puddle-splash races on the way to do 'mundane' things! Cheers - great fun reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! Wish my grandma had been as much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Sheri! I can just see YOU doing that. LOL. If you weren't wearing your hula skirt, perhaps it was your swimsuit? Yes, I know it's winter but it's warm in California, Right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my grandmothers had her Wild Moments too. I think they were gin-induced rather than caffeine-induced, and sometimes needed no inducement at all :-) Jo

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, Motha, can you please take me grocery shopping?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha!Ha!Ha!
    Ok, after I stop laughing....hysterically....I have to ask - How did you not get thrown out of the grocery store?

    Anyway, next time I go grocery shopping I'll have to try at least the paper towel throwing.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Sheri,

    Thanks so much for the morning chuckle. I can just see all this taking place. You are definitely NOT your grandmother's grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a hoot! I just have to ask though - do you go to DIFFERENT grocery stores....maybe on a rotating basis?? Either of my grandmothers would have died of embarrassment if I'd done even ONE of those things when I was with them - you are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those little ones are lucky to have you in their lives!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a wonderful grandparent! I think that my trips to the grocery store need to be more fun in the future. Thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete