28 April 2011

Doing The Jamboree Jive and Making My List





That's what I call my newest dance - The Jamboree Jive.  Not to be confused with my Frozen Food Aisle Samba.  

Only 42 more days until Jamboree 2011!   The Southern California Genealogical Society has been throwing this party for 42 years and they know how to rock. The event will be held at the Marriott Hotel in Burbank, California June 10 - 12  If you haven't been to Jamboree, this is a year not to miss.  Have a look at some of this year's highlights:

The day before Jamboree is a special day - The Family History Writers Conference.  The Conference is a separate activity, with separate registration, but held in conjunction with Jamboree.  The instructors this year are outstanding writers, genealogists and speakers:  John Colletta,  D. G. Fulford, Dawn Thurston, Biff and Nancy Barnes, and our publishing panelists Lou Szucs, Lisa Also and Tom Underhill.


 And wait til you hear this - an interactive smartphone application has been developed for Jamboree 2011.  The app is available for iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, and any other smartphone that has web-enabled browser capability. Click HERE for more information and the download.

I heard that at least 75 geneabloggers will be attending this year.  I can't wait to see so many of my nearest and dearest friends and am excited to know that I'll be meeting many new ones! 

The list of speakers is mighty impressive for this year.  There are a few  that I have never met and I have made a vow not to leave Burbank until I do.  Here are a few that are on my list:

Tony Burroughs, FUGA - I have heard Mr. Burroughs speak at several conferences and he makes it so easy to follow along with his presentations.

John Philip Colletta, Ph.D. - Mr. Colletta was a guest speaker in one of the courses I took at the Institute for Genealogical and Historical Research at Samford University.  You can't help but get excited about researching when you have listened to him.

David Allen Lambert from the New England Historical and Genealogical Society - Mr. Lambert is the "Online Genealogist over at the NEHGS website 

Kory L. Meyerink, BS, MLS, AG, FUGA - This is the guy who does Genealogy Jeopardy!

Louise St. Denis, PLCGS - Ms. Denis is the Managing Director for the National Institute for Genealogical Studies.  Education is my thing so meeting her is a must.

Lou Szucs, FUGA - Among a plethora of other things, Ms. Szucs is the co-editor of "The Source - A Guidebook of American Genealogy."  I was in a group photo that included Ms. Szucs at the NGS conference last year, but did not get to meet her.  

Maureen Taylor, The Photo Detective - Ms. Taylor was in the same group photo I mentioned above.  I did not get a chance to chat with her either.  Oh she did email me to let me know I had gypped her out of a Geneabloggers ribbon.  Color me red.  Just so you know, I mailed her the ribbon as soon as I got back from the conference.  Hell, that was last year, maybe she has forgotten all about it by now.

And last but certainly not least is Curt B. Witcher, MA, FUGA, FIGS who is  the Senior Manager for Special Collections at the Allen County Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana.  I saw Mr. Witcher's presentation he gave at the RootsTech conference and just last Saturday I listened to him on "My Society" the new radio show presented by the Federation of Genealogical Societies over at BlogTalk Radio.  I think he may be genealogy's Svengali.  Mr. Witcher is absolutely mesmerizing when he speaks.  After an hour of listening to him I have a new mantra - "Why The Hell Not!"





Saturday, April 30th is the last day to register and get the Early Bird Special.  I'll be there - How about you?

5 comments:

  1. Wait, I thought that was ALWAYS your mantra ;-) I'll be there this year (for the first time) and can't wait to meet you in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana that is wonderful news! I will meet you in the geneablogger's lounge that's code for I'll save you a seat at the bar! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like I'm going to be missing out on a good time!! I'll just have to experience it through you and all of the other genea-bloggers this year. Wish I could be there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to a great time, Roomie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I wish I was going! I had everything all set up and then something came up.

    I'm glad there will be 75 blogger there so I can at least follow along!

    ReplyDelete