11 January 2011

When Will It Happen To Me?


I am talking about Serendipity. Those special moments that every genealogist in the world has had. Except me.

So what started my whine? During my morning blog reading ritual (that is a whole 'nother topic) I came across a post over at FamHist who not only has his ancestors communicate with him on a semi-regular basis, but has people contacting him about the ghosts that occupy the land his ancestors used to own.

Sure I have had some of those "Aha" moments, but those are just moments my brain switches gears from blonde to brunette. Those are not serendipitous events. But it's not for lack of trying to have one.

I have photos of my ancestors all over my home. When I am working on one in particular I put their photo by my computer where I can see their smiling face. I figure that if I can stare them down, I'll get the answers I need from them. My family thinks that is just too damn creepy and give me lots of alone time until their "real Mom" comes back. Jeez, it's not like I have shrines or an altar and incense burning all the time.

I have tried sprinkling fairy dust and clapping my hands and clicking my heels together all in an attempt to strengthen my MoJo and be receptive in case an ancestor wants to make contact.  Not happening.


I think perhaps an Ancestor Whisperer might be the next step. 

10 comments:

  1. AHA! But have you tried wiggling your nose, or crossing your arms and nodding like Barbara Eden?



    Fun post, Sheri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this post. Again you made me laugh. I too wish the occasional ghost would visit me and provide me with the answers. I think the closest I have come was a few months ago when I was finishing my book on Flying Tiger Robert Brouk, a cousin I never met. He came to me in a dream and I remember we walked and talked about his life. When I woke up - that was all I could remember. Oh well. When I see Tinkerbell I'll ask her to spread some more pixie dust on us both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheri - your days coming! And when it does I'm sure it will be a doozy!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely loved this post...but sorry, I can't help you. I have had at least one monumental serendipitous moment every year for 16 years and I am just as ecstatic over each and every one as I was the first.

    Loved Tinkerbell too! She was the perfect visual!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you tried entering things into your database with a Ouija board instead of the keyboard?

    Maybe I need to invent a cordless USB Ouija-mouse? You'd hate for that damn cord to get all tangled up around your wrists when the spirit really grabs hold of it.

    And for all of you who doubt that the Ouija thing is for real - if spell-check recognizes it - it has to be real :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will happen! And it will be when you least expect it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sheri - It will happen when you least expect it! I was working at the library one day, and a patron from out of town came in with a news article about my great grandmother's divorce from the 1920's!

    ReplyDelete
  8. An Ancestor Whisperer - now that's a great concept! Please let me know if you find one...I did check my yellow pages but none were listed in my area ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You could hire a Genealogy Psychic like Kerry at Clue Wagon did :-) Jo

    ReplyDelete
  10. So clever! I love the pouting Tinkerbell. We all need fairydust. Sometimes it seems to come because of a new road we take. I started sending out old German letters (unreadable German script -- it's on my blog) to a 90 year old woman in Germany and then I translated to English (I knew there was some reason I became a German major 40 years ago!) I started making all kinds of connections --like the date a photo I had in my collection was sent from Romania to my grandpa in America! Keep at what you're doing -- serendipity happens -- and Tinkerbell will be smiling.
    PS I love your idea of a personal nag to keep on task. I need one too! Let us know when that Idaho Gen Society article comes out.

    ReplyDelete