01 January 2012

Forecast of 2012 Arrives In A Fortune Cookie



"A Goal is a Dream with a Plan and a Deadline"

Last night we dined on our traditional New Year's Eve fare - take out from Dave Wong's Chinese Restaurant.  Yeah, we are a classy bunch here at Camp Fenley.  Tradition also dictates that I eat the fortune cookies before I start in on the main courses.  Being an adult who doesn't have any examples to set, I can eat my dessert first if I want to so don't judge me people.

The very first cookie I cracked open contained a slip of paper that read:  "A goal is a dream with a plan and a deadline."

A perfect set up to segueway into revealing my genealogical plans for 2012, don't you think?

I have only one real goal for 2012, but it is huge people, really huge.  I am going to send in my application to the Board for Certification for Genealogists  this month and start the one year clock ticking to submit my portfolio.  Am I nervous?  Am I scared?  A big and hearty HELL, YES! I am shaking in my Jimmy Choo shoes!

This year I also have moved up the ladder in my genealogical volunteer gigs.

I am now a member of the executive board for the California State Genealogical Alliance serving as secretary.  I will also be a contributing author to the blog for the Alliance.

In May 2012, I will begin a 2 year term as the District II Registrar for the California State Society Daughters of the American Revolution.  I will also remain registrar for El Toyon Chapter NSDAR here in Stockton, a position I have held since 2007.

I also will continue as the editor for the San Joaquin Genealogical Society newsletter and serving on the board.  The board has approved the creation of a blog for the society, which I will manage and I hope to have its debut this next week.

In between all the above, I hope to attend all of the field trips planned for the year with the Northern California Chapter of the Association of Professional Genealogists beginning with the tour of the Special Collections of the University of the Pacific Library on January 5th.

I will continue indexing for various projects throughout the year.

 I will continue to participate in the monthly NGSQ article online discussion groups.  Last year, Angela McGhie, who is the head Honchess of the ProGen Study Group,  turned the article discussion group coordinator reins over to me.  

Leah Allen, author of Leah's Family Tree,  has volunteered not only to be my genealogy goal buddy, but has made the suggestion that we round up Northern California bloggers to form a group of buddies.  The more the merrier.  What fun it would be to meet up with a group of NorCal bloggers a couple times a year to cheer each other on and help each other obtain their goals for 2012.  I say we could include anyone interested in becoming a buddy in our group would work if we use the Google+ Hangout to meet.  Anyone interested?

11 comments:

  1. Wish I was in southern California. I do like the blogging buddy concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Leah mention that on your earlier blog post. I guess I'm game, too, for a group buddy project for Nor Cal. Sounds like fun--productive fun, of course! Now...all I have to do is figure out the tech angle of getting on Google plus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I was in the No. Cal area to meet with you guys. I wouldn't mind meeting a few people in So. Cal. Any So. Cal buddy wannabe's interested? Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheri, Congratulations on making that decision. My goals are many this year, but finishing up the KDP is on my list for 2012! We seem to have a LOT of us w/genea buddies this year! Hope we're all successful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheri, The best of luck on starting the clock! I'm sure you will keep us posted. You sound like you will be one busy gal!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your BCG application and everything that goes with certification! I hope you blog about the process - I know I for one am very interested. I still need to finish my goals...

    I love the idea of using Google+ for a "Goal Buddy Group" for everyone. Should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Past performance proves you're going to do what you set your mind to! Cheers to Sheri!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love hearing about all your goals but I particularly like to hear that you got a buddy and are getting organized in California! Great news! Keep us up to date on how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohmigod!
    SMK is so very, very proud of you. SUCH exciting news, Sheri. It was just over 6 months ago that we had the conversation and here you are already. WAY TO GO! I'm totally on board to join the buddy group. Congratulations to you (and Leah). I'll be in touch. Now I need to find a buddy of my own...

    ReplyDelete