05 December 2010

SNGF - My d'Aboville Numbers

When Saturday night rolls around, here at Camp Fenley we try to make the scene over at Randy Seaver's place GeneaMusings for his weekly Saturday Night Genealogy Fun.

For fun and games this week, Seaver asks,

1) Do you know what a d'Aboville numbering system is? A clear description of it is in the Encyclopedia of Genealogy here, and on Wikipedia here. Pretty neat numbering system, isn't it?

2) What are your own d'Aboville numbers for your four lines of your grandparents (starting with the first known person in the paternal line)? Your genealogy software program may be able to help you with this [Family tree Maker 2011, RootsMagic 4 and Legacy Family Tree 7 can, but Family Tree Maker 16 and earlier cannot].


It looked like a huge math problem to me. Luckily, I have RootsMagic 4 and in no time at all, I had my numbers for each of my four grandparents paternal lines :


From HEINRICH BEFORT (1761- ? ) my number is = 1.4.5.8.8.1.1

From J. FRED BORGSTADTER (1853-1929) my number is = 1.2.3.1.1

From LEWIS T. HARRIS (1810-1836) my number is = 1.1.2.4.1.1.1

From THOMAS SKILLMAN (1639-1699) my number is = 1.1.3.7.1.7.8.4.2.1.1

4 comments:

  1. Did the thought cross your mind to use those as a lottery pick???

    Just wondering :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy! You are brilliant! I just knew there had to be a reason I completed the task this week. Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to the Lotto I go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog and wanted to let you know that I have awarded you the Ancestor Approved Award. Pick up your award at http://hangingwithdonna.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your Family Tree Magazine Top 40 Blog nomination. Love your blog and humor!

    ReplyDelete