22 January 2009

The Problem With Pauline - Part 9 - Some Fun With Dr. George B. Sanford

Well I have to tell you, "The Problem With Pauline" just took a backseat today. In the last installment I tried to concentrate on all the information and documents I had for Pauline's husband - Dr. George B. Sanford.

Out of sheer desperation and clutching at any straw that came along, I wrote to the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry to ask about George. I had read an article in the Kansas City Star (dated 9 September 1907) that starred our boy George and it identified him as a member of the faculty of the Kansas City Post Graduate Dental College.

Oh but wait! Let me start at the beginning of my day.........

The mailman is getting to be a bit too clever these days. He has been sharpening his survival skills. He now reads the return address on my mail very carefully. If it even sounds like it might be genealogically related, he "accidentally" delivers it to my next door neighbor. Why such behaviour you ask? I can't be sure but it may have been a result of the enthusiasm I exhibited upon receipt of some death records from the State of Kansas last week. Do you know that he threatened me with his pepper spray if I came any closer!

Anyhoo, the above mentioned neighbor (who doesn't mind doing the "Happy Dance" with me on the front lawn) brought my mail over to me. When I saw the return address of University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Dentistry my knees went weak and I felt light-headed. First of all I was totally shocked that they were sending me a reply and next because I couldn't help but think that the envelope might contain the clue I needed to find Pauline.


Well the bad news is it did not give me a clue about Pauline. The good news is that it led me off on a completely different story! The dental librarian who answered my letter said that George Sanford had graduated from the Pennsylvania College of Dental Surgery in Philadelphia.




Well off I went, chasing down information on this snippet of information. It seems that George graduated in 1872. You will never believe who was in that same graduating class of 26 people - JOHN HENRY HOLLIDAY - better known as "DOC" HOLLIDAY . I'll be damned.








There are many supposed photos of Holliday, most of which do not match each other. The one clearly visible adult portrait-photo known to be authentic is the March 1872 Pennsylvania School of Dental Surgery graduation photo taken when Holliday was 20.


5 comments:

Amy said...

That's one of the things I love about genealogy. You never know where your research is going to take you! Congrats on your find, even if you didn't get your answers about Pauline :-)

Amy (We Tree) said...

Wow! That's what I love about genealogy. Expect one answer, get another totally different one.

Randy Seaver said...

Did you know that George had been to that college? Did he live near PA in the early 1870's? How did he get to KCMO?

Are there pictures of George Sanford in the graduating class of 1872? Or do you have pix of him? But maybe not that young.

GeneaDiva said...

Whoo Hoo! Enjoy your dance and don't let the mailman get in your way. I really enjoyed this little side venture about George.

Taylorstales-Genealogy said...

What a great story! I felt your excitement myself. That stinker mailman. I'm usually not home during the week to see my mailman or maillady (whatever the case maybe) deliver the mail, but on Saturdays-watch out-I'll run anyone over, jump over dogs, hurdle chairs...I want my genealogy mail!! I feel your disappointment regarding the link to the denistry school, but you have another avenue to explore. I can't wait to hear what you find out! Ever consider a PO Box? Hahaha...